Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Week V: BEHOLD


Velasquez, Las Meninas (detail)























It was going to be RENEW--but somehow this seemed prosaic (maybe just my associations) so I relied on my evening walk yesterday--past the window of the Christian Science Reading Room--where I always take a peek at the verse on display (large bible, illuminated to be read from outside, cropping guides to indicate the verse). This time it was from Revelations. I usually remember--or write it down--but yesterday it's just the one word (BEHOLD) that stayed with me...

There are other, personal associations, too--may tell you in class. But for now, this seems like a good start...

______

Full fathom five thy father lies;
Of his bones are coral made;
Those are pearls that were his eyes:
Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.
Sea-nymphs hourly ring his knell:
Ding-dong.
Hark! now I hear them,--ding-dong, bell.


William Shakespeare / The Tempest


Las Meninas (larger detail)


No comments:

Post a Comment