Monday, January 27, 2014

Week I: TOUCH


Albert Pinkham Ryder



















The word: TOUCH

Hi everyone--good first class. Nudge drawing discussion. Good group. I have numbers down to 10--should work. We'll see about Room 101, 6pm sharp next Tuesday, bring a small candle. (Someone bring matches too) Discuss alternatives following, if need be.

Also--I want you to know that I don't see 280 as therapy--or at least I wouldn't use that word. Rather, when the emphasis is on work--beautiful work, made with the hands, with feeling--that takes us to the place we need to be. It's my reason for doing the course (and, I'd hope, for everything else I do). It's ALL creative--art, music, poems, life...

That's our goal...

________

Here's Theodor Roethke: 

The Waking

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.   
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.   
I learn by going where I have to go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?   
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.   
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?   
God bless the Ground!   I shall walk softly there,   
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree; but who can tell us how?   
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;   
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do   
To you and me; so take the lively air,   
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.   
What falls away is always. And is near.   
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.   
I learn by going where I have to go.


Theodore Roethke, “The Waking” from Collected Poems of Theodore Roethke. Copyright 1953 by Theodore Roethke. Reprinted with the permission of Doubleday, a division of Random House, Inc.


Source: The Collected Poems of Theodore Roethke (Doubleday, 1961)

No comments:

Post a Comment